Emmanuel Episcopal Church

717 Quincy Street
Rapid City, SD 57701

Builder: Reuter Organ Co., Op. 869, 1949.
Manuals: 2
Ranks: 10
Action: Electro-pneumatic

Notes: Emmanuel Episcopal Church is the only downtown Rapid City church still in its original building. A small group began holding services in Rapid City in 1887, under the leadership of George G. Ware, a lay reader who was later ordained and became the first rector. The cornerstone of the little sandstone church was laid November 10, 1887, and the first services were held in the new building in 1888.

The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The original church building was enlarged by an addition to the south in the early 1940s, which also incorporated a stone Parish Hall adjacent on the east. In 1954, a large, new Parish Hall with a stage, kitchen and basement classrooms was added and in 1991, an addition for office space and additional classrooms was completed.

Our longest-serving Rector was the Rev. Mr. E. Jerome Pipes, who was here from 1934 until 1960. Perhaps the best-remembered event of his tenure was the attendance of President Franklin D. Roosevelt at a regular Sunday service in 1936.

Organ Historical Society as of 2020.