St. Mary's Abbey Chapel (now part of Assumption Abbey)

418 Third Avenue West
Richardton, ND 58652

Builder: Estey Organ Co., Op. 600, 1909.
Manuals: 2
Ranks: Unknown
Action: Unknown

Notes: Established in 1896, the Abbey and St. Mary's Church were built in the early 1900's, and they are North Dakota landmarks visible across the prairie. What is now the East Wing of the monastery (seen with its tower to the right in this photo) was the first building on this site. The North Wing (behind the church construction) was built next. Then work was begun on the Church building itself. In the foreground are the kilns used to make bricks from the local clay. These brick were used for the interiors of the walls, the outer finshed bricks came from the Hebron Brick Company.
Construction work continued steadily on the church, which was consecrated in July of 1910. The church was completely rebuilt on the inside in 2001, with all new electrical wiring, lighting, flooring, painting and stenciling. The roof also was replaced and the sub-roof rebuilt. A proper sound system and ventilation system was also installed. TRenewal Process was the work of the whole community, and of our many friends across the country and around the world. The finished space is an inviting and worthy place for the worship of God. Notes from James R. Stettner through information from the Estey Opus List, published in The Boston Organ Club newsletter, 1973-1979. Additional information Organ Historical Society as of 2007.