Scottish Rite Consistory

519 Park Street
Des Moines, IA 50309

Builder: Unknown builder
Manuals: Unknown
Ranks: Unknown
Action: Unknown

Notes: Construction on the Des Moines Scottish Rite Consistory began with the purchase of the lot at Sixth and Park streets in December of 1924. The architect’s plans were approved in December 1925. Construction began shortly after and the building Cornerstone was dedicated in June 1926. The Consistory was completed in November 1927.

A January 1978 article in the Des Moines Tribune described building as a “surprise” in downtown Des Moines. The article described a building with “12 drinking fountains, 23 lavatories, six booths…” It also cites the auditorium seating 850 persons.

The pipe organ was donated by Dr. S.D. Chamberlain and installed by John Beeston.

Information from the Consistory. Organ Historical Society as of 2008.