Capitol Theater

330 West Third Street
Davenport, IA 52801

Builder: M.P. Möller Organ Co., Op. 2939, 1919.
Manuals: 4
Ranks: Unknown
Stops: 82
Action: Electro-pneumatic

Notes: The Capitol Theatre, typical of most movie palaces, began life on December 25, 1920. Operating as a mixed use vaudeville and movies theatre, it later began showing movies only. On each side of the main floor auditorium, which originally seated 2,500, it featured alcoves containing a grand piano on one side and a harp on the other. It also had a working Wicks pipe organ, which was maintained by the Theatre Organ Society. One of the resident organists was Carol M. Allbee. On the walls in the lobby, foyer, and upstairs were paintings, which were retouched in the late-1960’s. By 1941 the Capitol Theatre was operated by Paramount Pictures Inc. through their subsidiary A.H. Blank. In the early-1970’s, the theatre switched to Spanish language films. During the 1980’s, it was also used as a Christian Center. From 1990 to 1994, it was a concert hall for country, jazz, and small touring acts, and then for local productions of ballet, community, and college theatre.

Recently, Scott Community College was endowed with the building that includes the Capitol Theatre. It was used as a non-profit rental hall for concerts, theatre, and lectures, but was closed in the Fall of 2010.

An online history lists a "Wicks" organ at this theater.  Perhaps Wicks renovated the Möller and replaced its original console. Organ Historical Society as of 2012.